On Sep 14, 8:35 am, Martin Diers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The answer to the current package chaos is not a centralized
> repository. I do not like that idea one bit. It's too storm-
> trooperish. Who is going to decide whether a package is repository-
> worthy?

I would take the example of jQuery. They have a single repository at
google code to store pretty much every plugin [1], the good the bad
and the ugly. So, no discrimination, anyone can have their plugin
hosted there. I think the jQuery team have a deal with Google to
handle such big volumes of data, for free.

There is also a centralized interface [2] for all the community
activities related to plugin development: discussion boards, voting,
bug tracking, etc.

I think that is a very sensible and useful approach. Everything is in
one place, and it is much easier to compare plugins and find the best
ones. It both keeps the jQuery community focused and makes users' life
a lot easier.

I would argue that this system was part of jQuery's success, and I
would love to see a similar thing with Django.

> The answer is community packaging guidelines. Somebody needs to write
> or adapt an existing doc on how to package django apps using existing
> Python tools (which are excellent already), how to name them, etc.
> That doc could then be incorporated into djangoproject.com. The usual
> community-driven caveats apply: let it be discussed, debated, etc. If
> the major Django contributors begin using it for their own package
> submissions, and the guidelines make sense, the community as a whole
> will follow suit.

I agree and I like this idea. While I think packaging an app should
remain the responsibility of each app's developer, some documentation
with best practices (from a Django's perspective) would be welcome.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/jqueryjs/source/browse/#svn/trunk/plugins
[2] http://plugins.jquery.com/