I think we largely have a consensus now (unless someone speaks up) --
CheeseShop and the global (or virtualenv) package space is the way to
go for all apps when packaging rules have been documented.

If someone wants to take this further, a ticket + a documentation
patch that outlines how to package apps would be most welcome.
Namespace issues still need to be resolved though. Looks like there
should be two topics
 * "How do I install external packages?" -- outline the two
strategies, global and virtualenv (for self-contained project
environment), how to find packages etc;
 * "How should I package and distribute a reusable Django app?" --
what namespace to use, uploading to CheeseShop, registering in
djangoplugables (i.e. there should be a semi-official richer
environment that lists only Django apps, djangoplugables looks good),
dependencies, media etc.

On Sep 10, 9:00 pm, "Brett Hoerner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:20 AM, mrts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > And it doesn't handle project-local installation (arguably this
> > can be done with virtualenv, but that will just clutter user-specific
> > "app-space" instead of the global one).
>
> At some point the Django app you're trying to installed has to go
> somewhere.  If it doesn't go in global or user's local, where do you
> want it to go?

Into project dir of course. Most of the existing apps can be trivially
installed by cd myproject; wget somewhere/app.tgz; tar zxf app.tgz.

> With virtualenv you can (and I would encourage that you) have an env
> for each Django project, so any installing you do is only 'cluttering'
> that project, and at that point it isn't even 'clutter'.

That holds only if you don't live on shared hosting and can afford
direct project <-> user (evironment) mapping.

If you can't afford that, installing stuff either globally or into
virtualenv can create trouble, e.g. project X is written against app Z
version 1, project Y is written against (incompatible) version 2 of
the same app, both X and Y have to run under the same user (shared
hosting) -- the only way to run them is to have a Y-project-local copy
of Z.

This is a minor, uninteresting problem though, so no need to discuss
this further.