I'm guessing it's the standard way to do things and this may be a bit
offtopic but still, out of curiousity, since the PendingDepWarning is
not visible by default doesn't this actually give the users just the
illusion of more time to fix their code?

Django releases are, from what I can see, getting a lot faster than
Python ones. A commandline switch to enable specific warnings makes
sense for python itself, but for Django itself, someone who just
regularly runs svn update every 4-5 months and has some bad luck with
timing may know about the warning only a very short time before the
release. Maybe I'm just digging in the paint, but to me it would make
a lot more sense to disable warnings with a command line switch rather
than enable them and have a note around the lines of
DeprecationWarning: The pycopg1 backend will be removed in Django 1.4.
You may disable this warning with --some-switch.

(Disclaimer: I never use warnings)

J. Leclanche / Adys