On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Jerome Leclanche <adys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing it's the standard way to do things and this may be a bit
> offtopic but still, out of curiousity, since the PendingDepWarning is
> not visible by default doesn't this actually give the users just the
> illusion of more time to fix their code?

That's the pessamistic version, yes.

I prefer to think of it like this:

Django 1.2 ships. Users read the release notes, and notice that
psycopg1 is now deprecated and will be removed. It's still there, and
still supported, so they can upgrade quickly and not have to be stuck
on 1.1.

Django 1.3 ships. Now, using psycopg1 spews ugly error messages to the
console and Apache's error logs. But psycopg1 still works, so users
can upgrade immediately and get around to fixing the ugly warning
messages at their leisure.

Django 1.4 ships. Those who've ignored both the release notes and the
error messages over the last year (or more) get what they deserve.

The main point is this: upgrading from Django 1.N to Django 1.N++
should be a no-brainer. We want our users to upgrade as quickly as
possible: this makes our jobs as maintainers *much* easier. To
encourage upgrades, we make them easy. This means long deprecation
schedules, and it means gradually working up to things.

Jacob