On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Secondly, IMHO raw truncation based on characters is bad practice for
> human readable text. A sentence is composed of words, not characters.
> Truncating a sentence mid-word isn't a typographical practice that I
> particularly want to encourage.

Please...
Please, please, please, do NEVER assume the use cases on your own websites
are the only ones other users will ever need.

Are you going to truncatewords on long filenames?
What about on hashes? On Email addresses?
Here is where I use truncate:
http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/35191/schematic-wonderheal-xt68-shades/ -
bottom of the right box. I can't truncate such small names based on words
alone.

> As for why this patch has languished for so long - one major reason is
> that nobody has made an issue of it previously. By my count, this
> thread is only the third time that someone has made the case for a
> built-in truncate filter

Oh NO you don't. PLEASE. grep your irc logs for truncate+filter, I know
you've been on irc long enough.

J. Leclanche / Adys