> 1. How many filters are we talking about here? At the very least it
> seems like two: one for plain text and one for HTML (since you don't
> want tags or character entities getting chopped off partway).

Why not have just truncate and truncate words, both with an argument to
truncate html?

> 2. How does this interact with internationalization? Not every
> language or locale uses an ellipsis for this (and, really, this needs
> to be solved regardless so the existing truncate_words can play nice
> with non-English use cases).

This is an issue for truncate_words too, which is solved by adding an
argument ellipsis="...".

> 3. Similarly to the above two, how does this interact with languages
> which commonly use composed characters in Unicode? Cutting a character
> in half (and thus presenting output that's completely wrong) probably
> isn't expected behavior, so how would such a filter deal with this?
> Would it need to do Unicode normalization as well?

When truncating characters, we are obviously talking about truncating just
that: characters. Truncating bytes is a behaviour implemented by |slice.

> 3. Is adding more filters really the way to do this? Could existing
> filters have their functionality expanded instead?

That's.. Well, if we go with what I described in my first answer, we will
still only have two filters, but with additional behaviour. Truncating
characters with truncate_words wouldn't make any sort of sense, so I'm
positive if we do add a character truncating feature, it will require a new
filter. As I also said a while ago, users just expect it to be called
"truncate".

If you have further questions/opinions (this goes for everyone against
adding such a filter), voice them just like this and they will get an
answer. Asking for people to "stop saying +1" just makes you look like you
don't want people disagreeing with you.

J. Leclanche / Adys