Graham is correct.

I pointed out this in my reply to reviewboard method which works just
like Jjdelc proposed, and that is incorrect way.

So simply put: Changing settings object in middelwares is WRONG. If
one changes the settings object before or after request, it will be in
intermediate state if there is concurrent request and wreaks havoc in
multithreading.

Also there is a additional problem with that, there are apps that uses
settings in their __init__.py like this:
  SETTING = getattr(settings, 'MYAPP_SETTING', 'sensible default')
these would not work afterwards either.

Though I'm not too worried about apps since I need to write most of
the apps myself anyway since there are very little apps that support
sites framework the right way.

Either way my current method does not include hundreds of files, just
database entries in Site, which are cached:
https://gist.github.com/795135
https://gist.github.com/795138