With globals:

No patches to Django required. Flatpages, media urls, media roots can
be customed by request and works without single problem. Mostly
because settings are used like settings.SITE_ID etc. and not like
getattr(settings, 'SITE_ID') in apps.

If Django ever is patched to work without this thread local trick, I
can very simply change it to use the interfaces I speaked about.
*Using* these interfaces I proposed (instead of globals) is simple,
but patching Django to use them is slow process. I'm willing to work
on it, but I don't think there is enough momentum to make for instance
the:

  get_request_media_root(request)
  get_request_media_url(request)

I proposed.