I'm sure Idan can add to this if he cares to, but at Djangocon kicking the
admin out of django.contrib for admin2 was something that was actively
considered, both during development and, depending on how it worked out,
possibly as its new home.

I'm massively +1 on that because it does allow a lot of "freedom" to people
wanting to experiment with it and new ways of handling administrative tasks.

-T

Travis Swicegood | @tswicegood (most everywhere) | Senior Open Source
Engineer @ Texas Tribune / Armstrong | 512.693.7051