+1 to separate django and admin o other contrib app.
-0 to mantain another/alternative admin on contrib

It is understandable at first that was maintained at par for order and
security in the project itself.

But today, after Django 1.3.1 I think it's time to review the situation
of contrib.

With teams in each Django contrib application would be a
little more flexible.

That is my humble opinion :)

Regards,

juanpex