I'm not a dev that contribute too  many directly to Django Project, but
aniway I use Django since 0.96, so here is my 2 cents.

While Clay's idea have many cool changes and is a really nice idea that
should be evaluated I share more Tom's and Daniel's point.

Any Django Developer on World that change between Django Versions should
read release notes, and documentation on new stuff.

Any Django Developer on World have knowledge enough on your applications to
decide migrate or not migrate to a new Django Version (they do it all time
with third part apps).

Any conscient Django Developer will test change and will assert that change
works.

Change will be documented, with solutions provided, and will fix a five
year old bug with a simple enough fix.

With management commands we can check every field defined by a EmailField
that need to be changed and create sql for that.

So, Django Devs are not childs, they can handle that change.

 +1 on change this fields.

Cheers,

Felipe 'chronos' Prenholato.
Linux User nÂș 405489