Ok to recap,

The issue here is that django auth is limited, and restrictive and needs hacks to make it use emails as usernames, we can agree on that yes? We can also agree that contrib.auth2 with LFK is a complex undertaking far into the future?. Can we also agree that the 30 character limitation on the username ought to be increased?

-----Original Message----- From: Luke Sneeringer
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:11 PM
To: django-developers@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: authentication by email

On March 15, 2012, at 12:23 , Daniel Sokolowski wrote:

Carl, I sincerely appreciate your feedback, however again it seems no answers are given except more questions and considerations to consider. Why is it so unreasonable that we expect the end developer to be able to manually adjust their schemas, it's part of an upgrade process and it's been done in the past labelled backwards incompatible changes due to bugs or security, perhaps 30 character limitation ought to be considered a design bug - tomorrow I'll do an R&D day and see the feasibility of a solution.

I don't think Carl's point was to provide answers; his point was to explain why the proposal isn't a very good one. He doesn't have to propose an alternative to establish that a proposal doesn't work.

Most of Django's backwards incompatible changes are corner cases that most end developers never actually encounter. The only exception I can think of to this is the CSRF changes to AJAX requests in Django 1.3. This change, on the other hand, would affect basically every single Django installation; this is much more widespread than past Django releases.

Regards,
Luke

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Meyer