Am 04.04.2015 14:30, schrieb Tim Graham:
Now that Django 1.8 is released, I wanted to bump this thread for discussion so we can hopefully ratify this schedule or modify it based on feedback. In particular, I heard a concern that a six month release schedule may be too often for the community. On the other hand, I think smaller releases would make incremental upgrades easier.
I started to use django years ago and I like it but these fast releases result in quite some projects running django version not getting any security fixes anymore, yes there is the LTS but if I start a new project I use the current version to get features not being in the LTS version and I dont have the time to upgrade all projects to the current and do in depth testing if all works like expected and such a fast release cycle makes it even worse, if there is such an fast release cycle at least older version should get security fixes too otherwise its kinda unattractive to use it.

One difficulty could be if third-party packages try to support every version since the last LTS (this seemed to be common with 1.4). A 6 month release schedule would mean 5 versions of Django until the next LTS, instead of 3 as we had since 1.4, so more `if DJANGO_X_Y` conditionals. One idea is that third-party packages could declare their own "LTS" versions (if needed) and drop support for older versions more freely in future development.