Hi Tim,

On 04/04/2015 06:30 AM, Tim Graham wrote:
> Now that Django 1.8 is released, I wanted to bump this thread for
> discussion so we can hopefully ratify this schedule or modify it based
> on feedback. In particular, I heard a concern that a six month release
> schedule may be too often for the community. On the other hand, I think
> smaller releases would make incremental upgrades easier.

In practice I'm not sure that "smaller releases make incremental
upgrades easier" pans out consistently. Shai pointed out that in large
organizations the simple fact of an upgrade is often a bureaucratic
hurdle apart from technical considerations; I'd say even in more nimble
organizations, simply needing to set aside developer time for an upgrade
is a fixed cognitive cost that "weighs" (in user perception) at least as
much as the technical difficulty of performing the upgrade itself.

I also think there's a benefit in smaller releases and getting features
to users quicker. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is (or if there even
is one).

FWIW, (per http://railsapps.github.io/rails-release-history.html) Rails'
last five gaps were 12 months (3.0 to 3.1), 5 months (3.1 to 3.2), 17
months (3.2 to 4.0), 11 months (4.0 to 4.1), and 8 months (4.1 to 4.2).
Not a lot of consistency there, but six months seems on the short end
for a comparable project.

Six month release cycles, plus a last-two-versions security-support
policy, implies that non-LTS users need to plan on at minimum yearly
upgrades (where they'd upgrade two versions at once). How much harder is
that than planning on releases every 18 months? It seems to me that if
either one of those is problematic for your organization, that means you
should be sticking with LTS releases; that's what they're for, after all.

(This may go without saying, but if we feel that asking people to
upgrade yearly is too much, I think it's much better to lengthen the
release cycle than to try to add security support for one more non-LTS
version. Security releases are hard enough to get out the door as-is.)

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5522D303.6060700%40oddbird.net.