On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Thomas Tanner <tan...@gmx.net> wrote:

> I think rare LTS releases and frequent (6month) incremental upgrades are
> a good compromise.
> Third-party packages should support LTS releases and at least the latest
> Django version. They may drop support for earlier non-LTS releases.
> Either you stick with the LTS release or you go with the cutting edge
> with all dependencies.

I'm not advocating for or against more frequent releases, but trying to
impose a support policy upon 3rd party packages is not going to work. It
would great if they support whatever versions of Django are still
supported, but sometimes that takes more time/effort than the maintainer is
willing to devote.

The number or frequency of releases doesn't matter as much as the content
of the releases. Depending on the app, some Django versions are harder to
support at the same time. The back-to-back major changes to the Datatbase
API forced django-mssql to only support a single Django version with each
release. After that change, I was less inclined to backport fixes and even
stopped testing against Django 1.4 well before it was out of support.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAGdCwBvxx%3DVKUscGQV1v%3DezeRkJVY4VJzDBZd9OaJ5SF9951oA%40mail.gmail.com.