I'm very much afraid we are in a situation where we have a documented
DEP process which isn't actually enforced, nor does it document what
we actually do.

Python's PEP process is useful as the document evolves while the
design evolves. What we do with DEPs is different, we first design
something, then we document the design decision, often mostly because
DEPs are a required document. We don't get what we could from DEPs as
they are written too late.

Could we try an approach where we *first* require a DEP, then have the
design discussion?

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CALMtK1HrKje7%3DQLi-51sw4ZRSY3jFE1VTu_BKsL1y4u2EiVRJQ%40mail.gmail.com.