On 14/04/16 05:57, Carl Meyer wrote:
Hi James et al,

In general, I like the idea of adding a helper to Django to read
settings from the environment. I think this helper should be kept as
simple and non-magical as is reasonable. Thus:

- I'm in favor of a flexible helper function that can be manually used
in a settings file to read an explicitly-named env var and coerce it
using any arbitrary callable (that gives enough power to "coerce" using
something as simple as `int` or something as complex as
`parse_database_url` that turns a DSN string into a Django db dict),
with some handling of defaults. Below I give some usage examples of the
function I use for that, and link to its code.

+1

This I've found works well in d-c-s...

- I'm opposed to anything more magical than that, e.g. anything that
tries to set up an all-dancing automatic mapping or translation between
env var names and setting names, or tries to enforce some particular env
var prefix. The minor gains in conciseness with this kind of thing
aren't nearly worth the losses in flexibility in how you construct your
settings file or name your env vars.

+1

Adding more policy will only complicate matters... if you just provide the mechanism, people will surprise you with innovative policies :)

- I'm also opposed to conflating the issue of reading env vars with
orthogonal stuff like class-based settings or patterns for using
multiple settings files.

+1

Once again, there's no need to dictate more than necessary.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/57108E2C.9050803%40tinbrain.net.