On 10 May 2016, at 19:18, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:

> I would say that a DEP is generally a good idea if the people working on
> the feature feel that it would be helpful to them to organize and record
> the various design decisions

DEPs have the additional advantage or drawback, depending on your perspective,
of raising the bar for arguing about the design. The first step is to read 10
to 20 pages, and perhaps a bunch of other sources they reference.

Compared to the traditional process, which simply consists in ranting on this
mailing-list based on partial data and approximate assumptions, DEPs take all
the fun away ;-)

(More seriously: discussions are rarely very bad here, however I believe that
a DEP makes them much more efficient once a certain amount of complexity is
reached, because the DEP provides a consolidated vision of the discussion.)

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5DB56C87-8DE1-450F-8F97-60E909D02F65%40polytechnique.org.