Whee, this thread got big!

The takeaway I'm getting here is that we should be careful about what we
adopt into core and when; I'm going to take a couple days and write up some
notes on what I think a good conservative approach would look like, and ask
for feedback on that.

(spoiler: probably the majority of it is going to be adding support for
parsing database URLs in the DATABASES setting)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL13Cg8yQkkWQFG0zVLi%3DKwOzhEyvp%3DMc63L8jTU4cYxaOURWw%40mail.gmail.com.