> On Jun 4, 2016, at 1:18 PM, Aymeric Augustin
> <aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
> That doesn’t sound optimal because pytz’ release cycle is tied to the TZ
> database’s cycle, which is different from Django’s.

IMO just stick pytz in install_requires and be done with it. It’s a very
trivial dependency, and is available as a Wheel, various eggs, and sdists. Just
to put some numbers behind this:

93.6% of all downloads of Django from PyPI [1] are originating using a tool
that will properly support dependencies out of the box. Another 3.5% of that
are using a tool that we can’t detect— this is largely older versions of pip
and devpi that didn’t accurately report themselves in the User-Agent header, so
is going to also be largely things that support dependencies properly. Another
2.3% of the downloads are coming from mirroring clients like devpi,
bandersnatch, etc where it’s likely the consumers are mostly or entirely
automated tooling that understands dependencies again.

Finally, 0.5% of all downloads for Django from PyPI are made using the browser,
where people may or may not be passing that to a tool that properly understands
dependencies.

In addition, the latest versions of all Python versions that Django supports
come with pip already available, eliminating the bootstrapping issues.

Given these numbers, and the existing of ensurepip, I think it’s easily time
for Django to just start depending on things, particularly when those things
are something as trivial to install as a pure python library like pytz.

[1] Using the now public metrics database.

—
Donald Stufft

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/F935353C-45B1-414E-8851-57DAAFA1BB57%40stufft.io.