I just realized that I think something's gotten lost in this thread:
Josh's original point was about requiring pytz _if you want timezone
support_ (that is, if USE_TZ=True). That would I presume involve raising
ImproperlyConfigured (or maybe having a site check raise an error?) if
USE_TZ=True and pytz is not installed. I'd support this for sure: the
"well, it might work OK without pytz if you're on Postgres" caveat is
extra complexity for not much gain.

But this is not the same thing as putting pytz in install_requires,
which makes it a required dependency for everyone using Django, even if
they want USE_TZ=False.

I don't know how many USE_TZ=False projects there are. I always set
USE_TZ=True, but I can imagine some small locally-oriented sites might
have reason to prefer USE_TZ=False? If there is a significant number,
and we want to continue to support their use-case, it's a non-zero added
burden to require them to pull in a frequently-updated useless dependency.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/57532E4E.7090504%40oddbird.net.