I reviewed the patch and I think it’s good. It removes quite a lot of messy
code.

There’s a DEP in progress about allowing dependencies here:
https://github.com/django/deps/pull/26 <https://github.com/django/deps/pull/26>

It looks like that there’s consensus on the general idea of allowing
dependencies
and on pytz being an acceptable dependency, and that the DEP isn’t finished
simply because no one has taken the time to finish it.

If some contributors are uncomfortable with preempting the discussion of that
DEP
or don’t think there’s consensus, now’s a good time to say so :-) Tim, you could
also ask for the technical board’s opinion if you want.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1686E521-D511-4750-8AEF-7087EE240660%40polytechnique.org.