> That said, I also think it's important to allow the ORM to support both
> modes in the long term. I truly believe the best way to be able to write
> async code is to _have the choice to write it_, rather than being made to
> all the time; if we make people use a separate, async ORM, then we force
> them to write every view asynchronously, with all the extra danger and
> thinking that requires. It's much better for Django to do the hard work,
> and say "hey, if you want to write asynchronously or synchronously, that's
> fine - it takes literally zero extra effort to go either way".

Slightly off-topic but once we have an async ORM, making it synchronous is
not impossible (I believe either Channels or Daphne already have shims that
use a worker thread to spin the event loop until a future is fulfilled).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/402dbe77-44fc-485b-b058-e619a1576ddb%40googlegroups.com.