Hi Mehmet,

> Le 20 sept. 2016 à 22:04, Mehmet Dogan <meh...@edgle.com> a écrit :
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get my feet wet with the DRF and felt the urge to provide a
> piece of feedback. I found the quickstart pretty helpful, but the 7-step
> tutorial threw me off. Although I appreciated it more at my 2nd attempt, I
> still find its flow counter intuitive. It goes from more detailed to less
> detailed, whereas when you are learning something, you usually go from simple
> to hard (or from general use to specific/custom usage). It is more like how
> DRF evolved over time, than a beginner material.
>
> Just to illustrate further with an example, I did the quickstart and feel
> comfortable with ModelViewSet approach, and now want to go one step further
> and customize it a little, this means going from step 7 of the tutorial to 6,
> have to read backward! :)
>
> Possible but hard. Please let me know what you think.
>
> Mehmet

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

The tutorial is designed in a way to introduce parts of the framework. Though I
didn’t wrote it, I consider the current version helps getting how parts are put
and working together.

The downside of the quick start like approach is that we’ll loose too many
people before the end.
Most will stop when they get what they want. It is unlikely they would come
back and complete the tutorial. Then we’ll have complains about things were not
documented or hard to understand. In other word, they’ll miss the big picture
of the framework.

The current flow doesn’t get you started quickly but will let you discover the
various part of the framework. You’ll get the big picture that you won't get
from the topics themselves. Once you get that big picture, you can pick the
topic you need to focus on and go further.

I’d be interested in hearing more about alternatives.

Regards,
Xavier,
Linovia.