On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 5:41 PM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 4:45 PM Douglas Foster <
> dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Based on this discussion, it seems evident that p=reject should include
>> language about in-transit modifications which are outside the control of
>> the source domain, and consequently outside the ability of DMARC to guide
>> recipients.
>>

> And the buzzer goes off. Sources and modifications outside the control of
> the domain in the RFC 5322 From is exactly what DMARC is addressing. That
> is exactly the guidance that is being provided by a domain publishing a
> DMARC record.

Do you mean that DMARC p=reject intends to block mailing lists that do
content alterations, so there is not a mailing list problem at all?

>> Extending from that, I thought it would be helpful to specify some shared
>> assumptions between sender and evaluator to make the interpretation of the
>> settings less subjective.   I call this the "Minimum expected
>> implementation at pct=100".
>>

> "Shared assumptions" is a poor assumption in writing a technical standard
> for interoperability.

Then change the language to SHOULD and make it a requirement.   Here is the
point:

Sender policy is intended to help the evaluator divide incoming messages
into three groups:
- verifiably sent by the From domain
- uncertain
- verifiably NOT sent by the From domain (spoofed)

The evaluator has two results to work from:   Verified or Not Verified.
 Sender policy provides guidance for splitting the unverified messages
between "uncertain" and "spoofed" by providing information about which
messages SHOULD be verifiable.     This is inherently a communication
protocol and it has not been well defined, which is why the question has
been raised, "What does p=quarantine actually mean?"   It is a derivative
of the earlier Chair question, "what does it  mean to implement DMARC?"

One could argue that anything other than "p=reject pct=100" is a non-policy
which provides no useful guidance, equivalent to the SPF token ?ALL.   But
then we have the mailing list problem, so even at "p=reject pct=100" we
have a problem with false positives (messages actually sent by the source
domain but not verifiable because of in-transit changes.)   So maybe DMARC
has no ability to distinguish between spoofed and unverifiable messages.

What seems useful is to define the capabilties and the limitations of
DMARC, then define a signalling protocol so that the sender correctly
signals which messages are DMARC-protected and the evaluator understands
that signal in a manner which can be applied to an incoming message.    I
do not see that we have such a protocol at present.   Rather, the evaluator
is left with a lot of guesswork,and that means that the source domain owner
is left with a lot of guesswork about how the recipients will make
their guesses.

DF