On Thu 30/Mar/2023 01:55:38 +0200 Barry Leiba wrote:
1. IETF has installed a very ugly workaround to the problem, rewriting the "from" header field. It's absolutely a workaround, and not a proper solution.

I agree the workaround is ugly. However, I drafted three ways to avoid it and gathered the neat feeling that people, after all, does not dislike From: munging so much.

In addition, it is possible to post to this list using a false From: copied from another subscriber. I did it, and it was received:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/K7L23b0F5MHY-KieqR_5i5cNyAc/

Such spoofing has also been possible for decades. Will it have to be that way for ever or can lists be secured? IOW, what can I do to avoid being impersonated?

2. Without the workaround, the real pain is not that a message from Comcast
posted to the list doesn't get to you (though that's true): the real pain
is that if Valimail rejects (bounces) those messages, the Mailman software
will eventually unsubscribe you -- YOU, not the Comcast user -- from the
list for exceeding the bounce threshold.

Been there, done that.

3. Even with the workaround, I see, as a list owner, several unsubscribe
notifications a week due to excessive bounces.

Changed addresses?

The damage to mail list operations is real, and expecting every mailing list manager to install an ugly workaround is not the right answer.

Yet, is is what most lists are doing, sometimes at the cost of changing host.

Telling those deploying DMARC what interoperability problems an inappropriate choice of p=reject causes, and telling them not to do that... is the right answer.

Perhaps it would have been the right answer nine years ago. If we do it now no list is going to roll back.

And, as I said, when they decide that their needs are more important than those interoperability problems, they have that right, and at least they will now be making an informed decision. The standard needs to say this.

A standard that says that interoperability is more important than security is not going to gain high consideration, given the general atmosphere nowadays.

Best
Ale