It is not at all clear that my goals for this effort match with others, so
I will state mine:

My goal is to develop documents that help evaluators make better
disposition decisions, to save civilization from as much malicious
content as possible.   An inference from my piece of reality is that this
effort has a large upside potential.

Sender authentication is the core of this effort because it is something
that we can actually specify.   Defining a standard for defenses against
malicious content seems infeasible.  For all its difficulties, sender
authentication is relatively feasible.

Verification of RFC5322.From is the linchpin to Sender Authentication
because the RFC5322.From address links the user-visible content to the
invisible document metadata and SMTP protocol parameters.   DMARC defines a
formula for declaring the RFC5322.From address verified, thereby separating
a general mailstream into two sub-streams:   the verified portion and the
unverified portion.

This group has taken the position that a message is only verified if the
domain owner has published a DMARC policy and the message produces DMARC
PASS.   From my data, that works out to about 40% of the traffic, most of
which is Gmail.  My results seem roughly consistent with data from
other sources.    This means that 60% of the traffic has no defined method
for detecting possible impersonation, so network safety depends entirely on
the strength of your content filtering.

However, it is easy to note that the DMARC concept of Aligned SPF PASS or
Aligned DKIM PASS is applicable to any message, with or without a DMARC
policy.  There is a minor complication about choosing between relaxed and
strict authentication, which is solvable by local policy.    Applying the
DMARC formula to a general mailstream, the DMARC-equivalent PASS percentage
suddenly jumps into the vicinity of 85%.

The remaining 15% of mail has uncertain impersonation risk, but is much
more manageable than 60%.   It has been a fertile field for investigation.
  When I ask, "Why is this message not impersonated?", the
investigation produces one of three answers:

   - The message stream is acceptable, but needs a local policy to allow
   future messages to appear authenticated.
   - The message stream is unwanted even though it is not an impersonation,
   so this and future messages from this sender should be blocked.
   - The message stream is from a malicious impersonator, so this and
   future messages from this sender should be blocked.

Whichever conclusion is reached, investigation is a one-time effort per
message source.   So a technical path exists for ensuring 100%
authentication of all allowed messages, and quarantining the uncertain
messages for investigation.  In my experience, the middle result
dominates.   As my recurring and wanted traffic gets an authentication
rule, and unwanted traffic gets blocked, the volume of investigations goes
down while the percentage of block results goes up.

When I examine the language of RFC 7489 and our proposed documents, I find
no path toward 100% authentication.   Instead, I see language that drives
people to fixate on the 1% of traffic that has a DMARC policy with
p=reject.  Then we are disappointed if they don't look for exceptions,
including mailing list messages, within the Failure subset of the 1% subset.

If we don't change strategy, nothing will change.   Desperate evaluators
will continue to read our document as a ticket to unconditionally block
that tiny portion of their mailstream which produces Fail with p=reject,
and more importantly, will continue to be vulnerable to impersonation
attacks buried in the other 99%.

Doug Foster