In message <CAAFsWK2pezgeYKDM=4ggbcfpquk_yewpkdcfm0j3s9eod5r...@mail.gma
il.com>, Wei Chuang <weihaw=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> writes

>I don't think the SPF '?' qualifier approach works because as Richard
>Clayton said earlier of RFC7208 "Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for
>Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1" section 8.2 which says:
>
>    A "neutral" result MUST be treated exactly like the "none"  result;
>    the distinction exists only for informational purposes.

Scott pointed out that I had not understood it correctly ... when you
run a matching sending IP against a "?" mechanism then you get "neutral"
which you are obliged to treat as "none". But you stop there.

When you run a non-matching sending IP against that same "?" mechanism
then you get a "fail" so you keep on going to look at all the other
mechanisms (which also all fail) and eventually (in practice) reach
"-all" or "~all" at the end of the record.

hence you can still use SPF to filter out the non-starters, but you
don't get any warm and fuzzy feeling from the pass...

So the SPF publisher they can either publish "?" information or nothing
at all -- and the _only_ reason for doing the former is to help with an
initial filtering mechanism at sites that use SPF for that purpose.

>If it happens to work, it's likely an implementation detail not
>standardized across the ecosystem and may change.

You're right that there's no way of knowing whether the people who are
currently paying a lot of attention to SPF (and less so to DKIM) are
going to make poorer decisions when what used to be an SPF pass now
becomes a "none" result.

Allowing DKIM-only to be specified in DMARC allows people to still
publish SPF records that yield a pass (thus generating a (possibly
mistaken) warm and fuzzy feeling in some quarters ...)

>Moreover it will be
>highly confusing to those outside of those with connection to the
>knowledgeable few.  That broader community depends on the literal
>interpretation of the RFC.

That's what still confuses me about the objections to the proposal to
explicitly allow people to say "DKIM only".

Yes I get that it adds a little bit to the text of the document and
requires a bit more code to parse the new parameter and hence you can
object on the basis of "complexity" -- but it does seem simpler to
understand the stricture "ignore SPF" than grok the necessity to alter
SPF records to use a complex-to-understand mechanism which may degrade
some deliverability.

- --
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755