Hi Marco,

>My intention is not to eliminate a tunnel that exists in any of the
>tunnel management
>protocols (aka MIP6, PMIP6, ..). My picture of DMM primarily distributes
>topological
>anchor point for the MN's IP address(es). Forget about the C-plane for
>now.
>Tunnels apply solely below (well, towards access) such anchor.
>If we distribute them to an extreme, they are placed on radio access
>points and
>the tunnel disappears. Then we arrive at Pete's model. If anchor points
>are somewhere
>above, say in the backhaul, the tunnel remains at least between the
>anchor and some node in
>the access (network based mobility mgmnt) or the MN (host based mobility
>mgmnt).

Ok.

Distributing topological anchor points at the access edge can be done
today without any new standards extensions. This is more about deployment
and selection of a gateway at the access edge. But, any time the MN moves
and attaches to a different point in the network, that tunnel and the CP
is expected to be there between the previous home-anchor and the current
access-anchor. But, here, the proposals hide the tunnel (at the initial
attachment point and what can be argued as a home link and which is fine),
but when the MN moves the session is re-anchored to a different gateway
with a churn in the routing infrastructure and with major impact to policy
plane. So, there is no tunnel and there is no CP in this model.

>I think none of the proposals wants to discuss away the tunnels as per
>MIP/PMIP. But above
>anchor level, regular routing applies to plain data packets of the
>U-Plane.
>A key component for DMM, IMO, is how to accomplish that routing towards
>the MN's current anchor point, even if the anchored IP address is
>topologically incorrect.
>To accomplish this, my intent is to not introduce tunnels above anchor
>level.
>So, it's not about eliminating tunnels, but it is about not introducing
>tunnels
>where never have been tunnels before :-)

:) If you can show this working without re-anchoring the session to a
different gateway, then I will agree. You see this from the point of view
of IP routing, but I'm looking for that subscriber session which I'm not
able to find.

Tunnels hide the topology and make that reachability work; it gives me a
stable anchor point that my operator can manage my session.

Regards
Sri