On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 02:29:58PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

[cut]

> The only real solution is to do without the Freedesktop.org 'stack' and
> give GNOME the heave-ho.  Devuan appears unwiling to take that step so
> far, therefore here you are, adopting Gentoo's systemd-logind forked
> code (which is what elogind is).
>
> Debian let itself have its decisions dictated by GNOME.  Isn't this
> making the same mistake, and _even_ in the exact same place in the
> system architecture?

Dear Rick,

Devuan is not adopting anything atm. Those packages are in
experimental, that is a repo meant for experimentations and tests.

The mistake made by Debian was to inconditionally adopt systemd and
its kitchen sink, leaving behind the users who did not want to get in
that messy wagon, i.e., us.

With *workaraunds* like eudev and elogind we could possibly minimise
the damage for Devuan users who want to use a DE with bells and
whistles, but still don't want systemd. Despite I don't give a tiny
toss to any of these automagic things, I don't see anyhting wrong with
trying to allow other people to use them, if they want so.

Being a universal distro is not about satisfying the needs of a small
user base, rather about not leaving anybody behind. Debian has mostly
failed at that. That's why Devuan exists.

HND

KatolaZ