Quoting KatolaZ (kato...@freaknet.org):

> Devuan is not adopting anything atm. Those packages are in
> experimental, that is a repo meant for experimentations and tests.

Noted.  Thank you for clarifying (and yes, that was also stressed in the
Subject header).

> The mistake made by Debian was to inconditionally adopt systemd and
> its kitchen sink, leaving behind the users who did not want to get in
> that messy wagon, i.e., us.

For the record (at the risk of repeating myself), I do not agree, and
think it worth explaining once again why.

Debian's mistake IMO was to not respond to having been put in an
untenable position by GNOME developers by unmooring themselves from
GNOME as a core distro feature required by Debian Policy.  In my view,
the General Resolution concerned the wrong question.  It should have
been about adopting a different standard DE (or no DE), not about
whether the Technical Commitee may require a specific init system as
PID1 and whether interoperation with various init systems should be
encouraged.  Wrong question.  If they had simply dis-established GNOME
as the official DE, then the ConsoleKit bitrot issue would have been
relegated to 'GNOME problem' rather than 'Debian problem'.

I blame tunnel-vision.  The DDs failed to assess the overall situation
and realise that the real problem was GNOME (and its underlying
dependencies on the ever-changing Freedesktop.org code hairball), and
that they'd need to deal with it eventually or would keep finding their
policies dictated by unplanned Freedesktop.org code churn via coercion
applied through excessive and problematic dependencies.

Devuan is at risk of falling into the same pitfall if it keeps framing
the problem as merely systemd-avoidance, and at best seeks nothing
better than compatible workalikes for Freedesktop.org components.
That is all that elogind is, and IMO that's all eudev is, too.

To quote an old movie, the only way to win is not to play.

> Being a universal distro is not about satisfying the needs of a small
> user base, rather about not leaving anybody behind. Debian has mostly
> failed at that. That's why Devuan exists.

I certainly respect Devuan for trying to respect that aspiration where
Debian failed.  However, I'm increasingly inclined to think that a
universal operating system is an unwise goal.  (As always, I'm not
offended by distro software decisions I differ from.  I'll change the
necessary implementation details locally if necessary.)