On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 13:27:25 -0700
Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Most highly rated comment:
>
>   I run my own local recursive nameservers even on my portable
>   devices. Totally not interested in using anyone's resolvers but my
> own.
>
> Ding!
>
> 1. apt-get install unbound
> 2. sed -i '1s;^;nameserver 127.0.0.1\n;' /etc/resolv.conf

So it's been about 2 weeks I've been using unbound, and subjectively,
my web browsing has slowed, compared to the straight 8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4 I used before. Sometimes the browser's status bar says
"resolving" during those delays, and sometimes it doesn't.

It's been about 4 or 5 years since I last used djbdns,  but IIRC I
didn't have such delays with djbdns.

So there may come a time when I'll be asking you for the name of a
different caching DNS server. But first, I just five minutes ago read
the info on:

https://nlnetlabs.nl/documentation/unbound/howto-optimise/

and based on that configured my 2 core, 16gRAM Daily Driver Desktop as
follows:

### BE SURE to use unbound-checkconf
###  before enabling a changed conf file!

# FORWARD-ZONE SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# The following is how you query google DNS instead of root servers
# I chose to query the root servers and commented it out.
#forward-zone:
  #name: "."
  #forward-addr: 8.8.8.8
  #forward-addr: 8.8.4.4

# REMOTE-CONTROL SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# Enable use of unbound-control
# Remote control is very, very useful
# Use judgement re security
# Use doublequotes on filenames, unbound should read them
#  from /etc/unbound
# Create keys and certs by running unbound-control-setup
remote-control:
  control-enable: yes
  control-use-cert: yes
  server-key-file: "unbound_server.key"
  server-cert-file: "unbound_server.pem"
  control-key-file: "unbound_control.key"
  control-cert-file: "unbound_control.pem"

# SERVER SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
server:
  use-syslog: yes

  # Guard against future default changes: no systemd ever!
  use-systemd: no

  # Speed UDP
  so-reuseport: yes

  # use all CPU cores, I have 1 CPU with 2 cores
  num-threads: 2

  # power of 2 close to num-threads
  msg-cache-slabs: 2
  rrset-cache-slabs: 2
  infra-cache-slabs: 2
  key-cache-slabs: 2

  # more cache memory, rrset=msg*2
  rrset-cache-size: 100m
  msg-cache-size: 50m

  # more outgoing connections
  # depends on number of cores: 1024/cores - 50
  outgoing-range: 450

  # Larger socket buffer.
  # OS may need config, so I don't use it
  #so-rcvbuf: 4m
  #so-sndbuf: 4m

  # Faster UDP with multithreading (only on Linux).
  so-reuseport: yes

  # Other stuff, see
  #  https://www.tecmint.com/setup-dns-cache-server-in-centos-7/
  # Enable dig command with allow_snoop
  access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 allow_snoop

The preceding assumes you have quite a bit of RAM, and it's based on
having 2 cores.

Subjectively, the preceding configuration improved my lookup speed.

Everyone please understand that as far as I know, there's no automatic
storage of cache to disk before a reboot or before downing, restarting
or reloading unbound. Do any of those things and you lose all cache,
so web browsing will be slow when hitting any website, including ones
that came right up before your action. For debugging purposes, I
created the following shellscript:

#!/bin/sh
rm temp.cache
unbound-control dump_cache > temp.cache
#unbound-control reload
unbound-control stop
unbound-control start
unbound-control load_cache < temp.cache

In the preceding, users of runit should substitute "sv stop unbound"
and "sv start unbound" for the equivalent unbound-control commands:
Works much better and really dumps cache before the cache reload.

The preceding completely restarts unbound without a significant loss of
cache (but with a full reread of /etc/unbound/unbound.conf. Notice that
unbound seems to poll its config file, because changes you make
to /etc/unbound/unbound.conf *sometimes* produce changed behavior
immediately, without rereading, restarting hupping, etc. By the way, I
couldn't find anywhere documentation on what it does when receiving a
hup. I do know from runit that hupping doesn't stop and restart,
because the uptime doesn't change.

Lookup speed is very important when web browsing because modern
websites access many, many domains. For instance, when I browsed
jeep.com and ran:

unbound-control dump_cache | wc

Browsing jeep.com added over 2000 to the number of lines of cache. Even
the minimal site Troubleshooters.Com added 240. No wonder browsing can
be so slow with inadequate cache, or with an unbound instance that just
recently started.

In summary, if you simply install and use unbound, without tweaking it,
you might perceive some slowness. If you do what's in this email, I
think it will be much better. And remember, resolution is always going
to be slow right after a reboot.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz