>> We have that:
>>
>> https://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/dot-pam-2021.pdf
>>
> That paper is about home measurements, and says:
>
> "Previous work [8,17,26] has studied the support and response times of DoT
> (and DoH). However, the studies performed response time measurements from
> proxy networks and data centers, which means that results might not
> appropriately reflect the latency of regular home users...”

…and it’s measuring latency rather than server-side load.  I just checked with
our engineers, and it sounds like the server load per-query is more like 3x-5x
higher for the encrypted queries.

> only measures DoT, rather than the more popular DoH.

DoH isn’t that much worse than DoT from a load perspective, but it's a
web-browser thing…  It’s difficult for me to imagine anyone with enough clue to
operate a recursive resolver wanting to use DoH to query an authoritative
server.  What would be the point?

>> Could you state the problem that’s being solved?
>>
> Sure, it's in the first sentence of
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-opportunistic-adotq-00:
>
> "A recursive resolver using traditional DNS over port 53 may wish instead to
> use encrypted communication with authoritative servers in order to limit
> passive snooping of its DNS traffic."

Right, so that just means the wording of the draft is over-broad, in that it
just says “authoritative” rather than “authoritative SLD” or something.  It’s
quite a stretch to think that anything sensitive would be disclosed between a
well-behaved recursive and a _root_ server, since it doesn’t disclose either
the individual nor the domain being queried.

So, again, what problem would be solved?

                                -Bill