> On Mar 31, 2021, at 11:28 PM, Rob Sayre <say...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Plenty of folks have evaluated the costs here.

And in all cases, they’re non-negative.  Which is the point.

>> Right, so that just means the wording of the draft is over-broad, in that it
>> just says “authoritative” rather than “authoritative SLD” or something.
>> It’s quite a stretch to think that anything sensitive would be disclosed
>> between a well-behaved recursive and a _root_ server, since it doesn’t
>> disclose either the individual nor the domain being queried.
>>
>> So, again, what problem would be solved?
>>
> In that case, I think the goal would be to prevent aggregate measurements,
> rather than individual data.

Moving the goalposts.

So you’re saying that we all need to go spend some non-negative number, which,
for us, is 3x-5x as much, in order that third parties should not know the
relative volume of recursor cache-misses with respect to different TLDs?

Why is this something I would want to spend my money to achieve, when there are
problems that aren’t hypothetical, and for which there are real live
constituents, on which I could spend the money instead?

                                -Bill