On 7/28/2019 1:46 PM, Art Greenberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019, at 02:41, Geert Stappers wrote:
>> I think that "aren't so happy" needs elaboration.
>
> I don't know if you're familiar with the Roku. Its a streaming platform, and
> service providers like Netflix and HBO have written applications that run on
> the platform to play their "entertainment" content. Some of those
> applications insert advertising into that content in real time - the
> advertisements are not embedded in the content. When the application detects
> that its unable to source advertising, it refuses to play the content.
>
>>> Yet when they make a DNS request, its being processed by dnsmasq
>>
>> That is _not supposed_ to happen.
>
>>> and the add-hosts files are being consulted,
>>
>> Because the "red" hosts are on the wrong track ...
>
> OK.
>
>>> Is there a simpler way to deal with this?
>>
>> Yes and you are almost there.
>>
>> Explore why red hosts resolve via 192.168.2.1, they shouldn't.
>
> OK.
>
>>> I cannot tell what the Roku streamers have assigned. The UI doesn't expose
>>> that information.
>>
>> Report that annoying inconvenience at https://support.roku.com/en-gb/
>
> Hahaha. I'll certainly try that. If there isn't already a hidden way to get
> that information, don't have any expectation that asking for something like
> that to be implemented will do much good in the short term, at least.

This might void your warranty but accessing the Roku using Telnet might
be worth a try 'telnet roku-ip-address 8085' (1).

On the roku, can you specify the DNS server(s) manually?

The URL (2) was found when googling.

1)
https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/developer-program/debugging/debugging-channels.md
2)