On Sun, Jul 28, 2019, at 10:41, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant wrote:

> dnsmasq won’t be intercepting requests, it will answer requests that
> are sent to it.  It doesn’t snoop on the wire looking for requests to
> hijack.

So, how does DNS on my network work then? All of the machines on my network are
configured via DHCP to go to the router at 192.168.2.1:53 for DNS requests.
Doesn't dnsmasq see those requests, and forward on the ones it cannot answer
locally to the configured servers?

> That sort of behaviour can be configured with firewall rules, ie.
> redirect any packets sent to port 53 on this host to another host/port
> combination.  Indeed adblock itself has this exact option to do so,
> it’s called 'option adb_forcedns’.  It would be worth checking this is
> set to ‘0’.

I'm not using AdBlock. Instead, I have specified the addn-hosts option in
dnsmasq and those files contain blocked servers with an IP address of 0.0.0.0.

> Also it would be worth checking on the router that something else
> hasn’t done this sort of redirection.

Yes. I'm new to iptables et. al. so its becoming quite the learning opportunity.

> adblock implements it with the following rules:

There should be no AdBlock related rules in my firewall as I'm not using it,
but I'll be looking at what is there.

--
Art Greenberg
a...@artg.tv