Ted Lemon
> Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:05 PM
> To: Lee Howard
> Cc: 'dnsop'
> Subject: [DNSOP] A practical solution for ISP-level support of the reverse
DNS tree for
> IPv6
>
> On Sep 3, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
> > Education needed:  how do you tell a residential user what server
> > will accept their dynamic PTR updates?
>
> I think this is an unnecessarily difficult answer.   Maintaining the
> zones at the ISP is a recipe for DoS attacks, bad configuration, angry
> phone calls from end users, and, frankly, ISPs simply not doing it
> because it's too hard.   The problem of authenticating the DNS updates
> is another dozen miles of bad road on top of that.

I agree that I don't like this answer, and I think I said that in the draft,
for exactly those reasons.  If this draft is worth pursuing but you think
section 3 is unclear, could you help me improve it?

But, do those problems get better if you delegate to the user?  Isn't
the user potentially susceptible to DoS attacks, bad configuration, and
getting fed up and calling their ISP?

>It's better to
> delegate to the customer, and it's not that hard to do.

In theory, but I don't know of any residential gateways that have this
support, and I don't know that end users would be willing to pay for
it.

> There is existing technology for populating PTR records via DHCP, and

Pointer?  I'm not following you.  PTR is sent in DHCP messages?
Or  do you mean that when a device requests a Prefix Delegation, the
DHCPv6 server notifies the DNS server to delegate the zone to that
device?    If that, then  when the gateway assigns addresses to hosts in
the home, they send dynamic updates to it.

> this would work for the next-hop address to the prefix - the outward
> facing IP address of the home gateway, which would be allocated via
> DHCPv6.   AFAIK this functionality already works on several commercial
> and at least one open source DHCP implementation, and support in
> DHCPv4 clients is widespread, so it's not unreasonable to think that
> DHCPv6 clients would have support for it as well.   I haven't checked
> the Microsoft client, but I'd be surprised if it didn't do this.

I'm just not sure I'm following you, so thanks in advance.

Lee