On Sep 3, 2009, at 3:37 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
I agree that I don't like this answer, and I think I said that in the draft, for exactly those reasons. If this draft is worth pursuing but you think
section 3 is unclear, could you help me improve it?

The problem with section 3 is that aside from section 3.2.3, it presumes that the customer will be updating the DNS using dynamic DNS updates, which does not match current practice, and is difficult to deploy due to the lack of shared authentication information that could be used to authenticate the updates. Mark Andrews' suggestion of using CGA to authenticate the updates isn't bad, but as you also mention in section 3, DDNS from clients doesn't really scale well.

In practice, what works is DDNS from the DHCP server. This is fairly widely deployed (although unfortunately no ISP I've ever had supports it). It's as secure as the DHCP transaction, which for better or for worse is generally considered secure enough - if you got an IP address from the DHCP server, there's no harm in populating the PTR record for it.

My point is that this is a far, far better solution than what many large ISPs do now - populating the reverse tree with nonsense names.

But, do those problems get better if you delegate to the user?  Isn't
the user potentially susceptible to DoS attacks, bad configuration, and
getting fed up and calling their ISP?

Yes. However, it's very unlikely that the user will care, and thus very unlikely that they'll be making phone calls. In most cases, the absence of a PTR record for a particular IP address has no effect on the end user - their web surfing is unaffected, their FTP downloads are unaffected, Skype works, streaming video works, VPN works, etc. The only situations where the lack of a PTR tree will actually affect the end user are when they are using (forgive me) ancient protocols with ancient implementations that still place trust in the PTR tree, which they should not, and in cases where they actually care about providing PTR information for debugging purposes. This sort of customer will be very happy to get a PTR delegation, and will do the right thing with it.

In theory, but I don't know of any residential gateways that have this
support, and I don't know that end users would be willing to pay for
it.

The only end users who will care about it are people like you and me, and we will probably run OpenWRT or have a linux box as our residential gateway anyway.

Pointer?  I'm not following you.  PTR is sent in DHCP messages?
Or  do you mean that when a device requests a Prefix Delegation, the
DHCPv6 server notifies the DNS server to delegate the zone to that
device? If that, then when the gateway assigns addresses to hosts in
the home, they send dynamic updates to it.

Read RFC4701, 4702 and 4703 (don't panic - they're short). The technologies described here work for DHCPv4 and DHCPv6. The next-hop address can be populated using these techniques; we'd have to add something to support any sort of signaling or negotiation about delegation, although the default behavior of delegating to the next- hop address could work well enough.