On Sep 7, 2009, at 6:52 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
        /56 should be typical for homes
        /48 should be typical for businesses

I don't think this is germane to the discussion. My point in mentioning /64 was simply that if you go narrower than that, important things break, so it's a pretty good number to assume as an absolute minimum.

If you allow your customer to do arbitrary DNS
updates to the reverse tree for the entire /64, that could wind up
being a tremendous amount of data.   So on the one hand, you're
opening yourself up to the potential for a buggy client to cause
operational problems.

        The size of the name space has NOTHING to do with it.  If
        I have 1 name I can add billions of records at that name.

True, and with an IPv4 delegation I can have a filter that prevents you from adding names that don't make sense, stopping that particular failure mode. But there is no filter that could similarly disallow an excessive number of names in an IPv6 delegation.

And on the other hand, what makes DoS attacks work is that you have
some resource that people really care about, and you are able to
exhaust it by sending too many queries to it.   One really great
defense against DoS is distribution of load.   So delegating the
reverse tree for a customer's zone to the customer's equipment
protects against DoS that way.

        Pure FUD.

?

The problem is that I've never had an ISP that would actually populate
the reverse tree based on hints from the client,

        Which is basically because ISP's had to work around a problem
        before there was technology for a solution and they havn't
        rethought the problem since.

No, that's not the case at all. The technology I'm talking about predates the existence of most of the really big ISPs, and there are ISPs that have been doing DNS updates right for over a decade. The problem is a lack of motivation to implement, not a lack of working technology.

        ISP's do support customer generated reverse zones for their
        commercial customers.  It really isn't that hard to do it
        for all customers.  It's just inertia that has stopped it.

Do they do it with DDNS, or with web forms? The only commercial support for the reverse tree that I know of for sub-class-C subnets is done with web forms.

A single point of failure in this case isn't an issue: if your
residential gateway dies, nobody's going to be querying your PTR
records, because you're not going to be communicating with anyone.

        Really?  Lots of log processing is done in batches.

Sure, and PTR queries can always fail. There is no way to guarantee that PTR queries will succeed when processing logs, no matter what solution an ISP implements. An auditing mechanism that depends on the PTR tree is not valid. Any mechanism necessary for interoperation that fails in the absence of a PTR record is invalid.