On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:21:58 -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:
>Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> writes:
>
>> The multiple query example, and multiple TYPEs are interesting, but
>> solves a different problem
>
>Exactly.  IMHO, we really need both solutions:
>
>1) the ability to ask multiple questions
>2) the ability for a server to respond with authoritative answers a user
>   will likely ask for next, before it knows what to ask.

Just an observation:

you can do (1) ask multiple questions today with separate queries over
one TCP connection.  Pipeline them and they may even pack down to one
packet (after connection setup).  TCP handles all the edge conditions
about packet size.  (There is some "overhead" in that you get muliple
DNS headers, but mutliple headers also mean you there is no ambiguity
about which query the response code applies to.)

Using pipelined TCP does not require protocol changes, but it may
require implementation changes.  (As per RFC-7766.)

TCP perhaps solves the "give me A + AAAA + MX" case.

Case (2) is the ability to have a server give back the answers to
questions you did not yet ask.  Isn't that what the "additional" section
is for?   (With or without TCP.)

   -John Heidemann