On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
> Regarding the format of EXTRA RRs, it's better to use a list of RRs rather
> than a list embedded in one RR. And a single label isn't enough, e.g.
> TLSA.
>
> So I suggest the presentation format should be like
>
>         EXTRA   type    name.
>
> and the wire format should be a 16 bit type followed by an uncompressed name.

Hmmm... I think that this sounds reasonable, possibly with a minor tweak.
Initially the EXTRA RR was never intended to be something that could
be queried - the EXTRA (nee ADDitional) record only existed to allow
copying from the master to the slave (they were instructions to the
nameservers, not actual RR). Now that we allow querying directly, the
RR type needs more discussion.

Wes and I will chat more in Berlin, but I'd like to be able to have a
way to insert a preference into the RR as well (if there are N extra
records, but only space for M, I'd like to be able to indicate which
are the M to include).
How would:
EXTRA pref type name
work for you? (pref would likely be an octet).

> Tony.
> --
> f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
> South Utsire: Variable 3 or 4, becoming southwesterly 4 or 5. Slight or
> moderate. Rain at first. Good, occasionally moderate at first.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf