On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 6:35 PM, John Heidemann <jo...@isi.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:21:58 -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:
>>Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> writes:
>>
>>> The multiple query example, and multiple TYPEs are interesting, but
>>> solves a different problem
>>
>>Exactly.  IMHO, we really need both solutions:
>>
>>1) the ability to ask multiple questions
>>2) the ability for a server to respond with authoritative answers a user
>>   will likely ask for next, before it knows what to ask.
>
> Just an observation:
>
> you can do (1) ask multiple questions today with separate queries over
> one TCP connection.  Pipeline them and they may even pack down to one
> packet (after connection setup).  TCP handles all the edge conditions
> about packet size.  (There is some "overhead" in that you get muliple
> DNS headers, but mutliple headers also mean you there is no ambiguity
> about which query the response code applies to.)
>
> Using pipelined TCP does not require protocol changes, but it may
> require implementation changes.  (As per RFC-7766.)
>
> TCP perhaps solves the "give me A + AAAA + MX" case.
>

> Case (2) is the ability to have a server give back the answers to
> questions you did not yet ask.  Isn't that what the "additional" section
> is for?   (With or without TCP.)

Yup, kinda - except that (currently) recursives appear to ignore
"gratuitous" additional records

AFAICT[0], currently recursive servers will not trust answers to
questions which have not been asked (and are not required supporting
information (like glue))  -- this was, AFAIK, originally to avoid
things like https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/dnshack.pdf

Now, with DNSSEC recursive servers have a reason to be able to trust
this data, and so the additional section can be used again for, um,
additional information[1].

[0]: Of course, it is entirely possible I'm wrong. I tested this with
some crafted responses (with scapy), but I could have messed up the
testing.

[1]: Earlier versions of this document called these "ADDitional"
records, but that got too confusing...

>    -John Heidemann

idea in the first place.
of pants.