So I think this discussion might benefit from also
remembering that we have a decades-long and widely
deployed history of IETF standard name forms that
use the same name syntax as domain names that may
or may not be related to names used in the DNS.

Kerberos [1] does exactly that.

And the sky never fell, nor has anyone had to pay
large numbers of currency units to pick a kerberos
realm name afaik.

I'm not saying this solves the conundrum, but I do
assert that this fact invalidates some arguments to
the effect that the IETF cannot standardise another
"global" name form using the same syntax because of
problems that may or may not be caused by overlaps in
the name spaces - we've not had critical problems with
doing just that for nearly 30 years. (Since RFC1510.)

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4120#page-55