https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:y9m1tz.2.21
<https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:y9m1tz.2.21> :)

> but maybe this is a clear signal that we
> are turning the IETF into ICANN and it is time to take a step^Wleap
> back.

My impression is that some folks here believe that the demand for non-DNS
namespace partitioning won’t be that great, thus a lightweight IETF-managed
mechanism will be sufficient.  Perhaps I’ve been in the ICANN world too long,
seen far too much gaming, and far, far too many lawsuits resulting in me having
a different view: I’m not so confident that a lightweight mechanism will
survive, particularly given stuff like
https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/27/web3-digital-identity-startup-unstoppable-domains-raises-funds-at-1-billion-valuation/

<https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/27/web3-digital-identity-startup-unstoppable-domains-raises-funds-at-1-billion-valuation/>.

ICANN was specifically intended to be a venue in which naming policy was to be
made and was explicitly required to include non-technical constituencies
because the myriad non-technical implications of that policy. The fact that the
ICANN process did not take this particular use case into account suggests to me
that that process needs to be fixed, not that the IETF should put itself into
the same swamp by providing a way by which that process can be short-circuited.

But I’m repeating myself, so I’ll shut up now.

Regards,
-drc