Hiya,

On 14/08/2022 03:59, rubensk=40nic...@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:

On Kerberos, we need to note that one use case of Kerberos is
Microsoft Active Directory; MS AD is behind a number of name
collisions that happened in the 2012 root zone expansion, including
one string that will likely never show the light of day in the root
(.corp). So, this might be the telltale sign, not the good fortune
ahead one.

I'd interpret that as a positive still - despite the fact
that kerberos naming is so widely deployed, and has been
for decades, the impact on the DNS isn't serious - one or so
of the labels from the huge namespace of potential new tlds
wasn't usable when ICANN ran their gTLDs-via-money process,
but otherwise stuff works fine even if it can sometimes be
confusing as to how kerberos realms and DNS domains do or
don't map to one another.

Cheers,
S.

We also could think into this in terms of what we can do; .alt, .arpa
and .internal all look feasible and could alleviate potential
collisions(.arpa already succeeded in .home.arpa). Will blockchain
start-ups adopt them ? Likely not, because they just want the end run
around ICANN and couldn't care less about interoperability. But by
providing those that do care with options, we get more friends and
less foes.

Rubens

On 13 Aug 2022, at 23:27, Stephen Farrell