Dan,

This is a blanket comment based on what I am reading on the effort to do a
remote post-mortem on the event.

Before "running with" a commentary, try to contact those with first hand
knowledge to see if they will discuss any parts of it with you - knowing
that your commentary is going to be public.  The more "facts" you get, the
easier it is to explain the significance of the situation.  Once you get to
"if it happened this way" and the "or it could have happened that way" you
lose an easy to follow narrative.

This isn't advice to "get the facts first" (which is always good) but a
suggestion to try to narrow the message.  Like, once i got to there being a
step 3a or 3b, I was kinda loosing my will to finish the article.

Ed

PS - I've done some work like this, looking at how DNSSEC configurations
leave breadcrumbs.  I learned that it is most fruitful to contact the actors
involved and talk to them because you learn a lot (studying anomalies in
operations leads to great insights).  More over, not only is it fruitful,
it's much easier than "diagnosing" what happened from what "symptoms" have
been observed.  Ordinarily, my diagnosis has proven to be way off the mark.