On 6/22/2011 5:42 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
It is interesting to hear about free stuff from MS.  One always wonders what
tricks, caveats, lock-ins and what traps are being sprung.

Regards from
Tom :)

Use a little of this, a little of that... I am not a wide-eyed zealot, forcing myself to stick with only open-source applications.

Being an electrical and computer engineer, I would prefer to use the tools that work the best--even if I have to pay for them, sometimes. (I do not use any bootleg software.) Fortunately, four years ago, as an inactive beta-tester, MS gave me afterward free copies of Vista Ultimate and MS Office Professional Plus 2007, plus a few other of their apps for attending their market launch/seminar--a five-mile bus ride away. Motorola gave me a free copy of FrameMaker when I was a technical editor for them six years ago. So, I cannot complain.

I even buy legal versions of proprietary software on eBay or from the vendors--right after a new version is released. 80% discounts are common. Sometimes, they give away slightly dated versions for free.

Bargains can usually be found.

Gary
Hi

When checking the PDF version of the Calc guide I found it hard, compared to
html to move around the document.  I would like to propose that an HTML version
is produced.  I would be happy to undertake the work.

I am not sure what open source html producers/editors are available, but will
do some research into what is available.

Does anyone else think this is a good/bad idea.

Regards

John Cleland
If you plan to do what you plan, try using a WYSIWYG application like MS
Expression (formerly FrontPage) or Adobe's DreamWeaver. Microsoft has
such a free deal with its WebSpark program. You get the use of MS Visual
Studio 10 and the Expression suite to use for three years for
nothing--and get to keep them afterward:
http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/

Gary

--

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>