From: Marc Paré <m...@marcpare.com>
To: documentation@global.libreoffice.org
Sent: Thu, 23 June, 2011 15:13:56
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-documentation] HTML versions of the Guides

Le 2011-06-23 04:35, Jean Weber a écrit :
>> I will chime in as well. I would rather see the ODF versions first and the
>> .pdf only if needed. We are, after all, telling people that we have the best
>> office suite on earth, so let's prove it! It does work!. I would even go as
>> far as not publishing any .pdf versions. People needing documentation will
>> have LibreOffice to read the ODF files. I would only supply .pdf files if it
>> involved anything with the installation of LibreOffice.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Marc
>
> Marc, please see my earlier note about the importance and necessity of
> providing PDFs.
>
> --Jean

Hi Jean

We are essentially saying the same thing. For necessary files where the ODF
cannot be read due to the inability of having LibreOffice installed to read ODF
files then falling back on .pdf's is fine. If there is a need to create a quick
and dirty ODF reader, then we should put this to the dev's as a project -- a
"LibreOffice Reader". We should not be advocating the use of any other format
unless we really have to. If our documents are so important for a user to want
to read, then they should download our product to read our wonderful manuals.

Otherwise, we relegate the ODF (and LibreOffice) to a secondary position --
there will always be individuals inside our group who will clamour for a .pdf
version to add "universality" to our product line. This is completely
counter-productive. The request for .pdf will never cease and all of our
documentation will be in ODF/PDF versions with no real reason to fully adopt
the
ODF format by any user. Worse, corporate adoption of our product will be hard
get if they will never see the benefits of using our products if they only read
it through .pdf formats for their convenience. It is difficult to issue
accolades to a product that second guesses itself to its intended user base. If
pdf's are so necessary, then people should be looking for a .pdf office suite
as
everyone extolls its virtues.

I don't think Adobe would ever suggest to anyone else to use a different format
for people to read their manuals, they would of course tell all to download
their reader and to then read their wonderful manuals.

We should do the same, as we do have the better format of the two. The use of
.dpf's should be done in a very strategic way and not in a universally applied
fashion.

All of my opinions.

Cheers

Marc