On 08/05/10 21:05, Simon O'Riordan wrote:
> I thought we had a little while until that happened? A couple of weeks?
> Anyway, I was told this:
> ISP's are under no obligation to disclose information. BT probably will.
> But if you are lucky, you can register YOURSELF as an ISP provided you
> can prove you have guests using your connection.
> In that case you can deny all knowledge and the bastards can't touch
> you.

You're quite possibly right on all points, Simon, and I certainly wasn't
judging you.

However, I wonder what protection the fact that you having licensed a
copy will afford you when you are accused of making copies available to
anyone with a bittorrent client?

I believe the notices won't be issued straight away, but I have heard of
lawyers already hitting folks with demands for payment despite
assurances that this wouldn't happen immediately, either. You can bet
that there are law firms out there figuring out the ways they can make a
killing out of this appallingly dodgy law, either through pursuing
'offenders' or defending them!

I now download via a VPN to avoid 'misunderstandings' of this sort. I
figure the media industry and Government simply don't want to understand
p2p, my ISP (Sky - go figure!) won't have time to look into every case
put before them, and I certainly can't be doing with the hassle of
tribunals, etc., so I am now downloading my torrents* cloaked as it were.

Finally I believe Andrews and Arnold are one ISP talking about changing
the status of customers to shift responsibility from themselves when it
comes to being forced to provide records**.

Sean

* legit live music performances from Dimeadozen
** http://aaisp.net.uk/dea-loopholes.html

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-05-11 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413