Hi Terry,

> > > I've found https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8683830 which
> > > suggests you need to enable it in 34!
> >
> > I tried, but it isn't in the list of Add-ons.  Maybe it is because
> > Kubuntu's V34.0 is different to the raw one?
>
> I've worked it out.

Good.

> The Mozilla crew didn't enable it by default for all users because
> they didn't want everyone hammering their servers at once (Google for
> 'How to enable Firefox Hello').
>
> You have to do a bit of jiggery-pokery in about:config and restart
> Google to get it to work.

Yes, so says that news.ycombinator link above.  :-)

> However, there's no desktop client AFAICT.

No, this is all aimed at getting browser support for a new standard
without needing plugins, etc., so it "just works".  If there was a
desktop client, it would likely just be a wrapper around a layout engine
from a browser that implements it, e.g. Gecko.

Cheers, Ralph.